Wednesday, February 13, 2013

COME FOR THE COOKIES!

Do you remember attending weddings as a child where the cookie tables seem to go on for miles and miles?  I certainly do!  As a kid, me and my little buddies would take off our shoes sometime during the reception and slide in our socks across the highly polished dance floor.  The adults around us just smiled indulgently as they visited with one another.  Who has a better time at a wedding reception than a small kid?

The Mahoning Valley Historical Society, 325 W. Federal Street in Youngstown, is sponsoring an event titled Cookie Table and Cocktails this Saturday night, February 16th from 7 till 11 pm.  It promises to be the biggest and best cookie table that Youngstown has ever seen.  So far they are at 6,000 cookies and counting!  Tickets are $40 at the door but will provide not only cookies but appetizers, a live band for dancing, an exhibit of antique wedding costumes, bidding on artwork and a Chinese auction.

They are having a cookie baking contest for amateurs as well as professional bakers for "best cookie."  I, of course, am competing with some of the most amazing bakers in the Mahoning Valley.  I cannot decide if I want to make an old-time cookie like Hungarian apricot squares or if I should do a newer confection, a chocolate-peppermint sandwich cookie.  Whatever I decide upon, I am sure I am up against stiff competition!

The cookie table phenomenon is certainly a local, if not regional, custom.  Northeastern Ohio and Western Pennsylvania lay claim to its origins but cookie tables at weddings have been found in New York, West Virginia and New Jersey too.  It is only fitting that Y-town hold a celebration in its honor!

So, I hope to see you there Saturday night.  It is for a good cause, all proceeds benefit the Historical Society, and just think of all those cookies!


No comments:

Post a Comment